If you suffer from headaches, you’re not alone. Headaches are one of the most common reasons for lost workdays. To help you take control of this type of pain, Philip Striano, DC, with Hudson Rivertowns Chiropractic in Dobbs Ferry, New York, uses proven drug-free chiropractic methods to calm your pain. Call today or book an appointment online with Dr. Striano for relief from your headache pain.request an appointment
What causes headaches?
Headaches have multiple causes. If you are prone to anxiety, you may get tension headaches as a result of that stress. Extreme stress and poor sleep can also trigger migraine headaches.
Those who suffer migraines shouldn’t have large amounts of coffee or red wine — they’re both triggers. Since migraines can be brought on by what you eat and drink, Dr. Striano offers nutritional and dietary counseling to reduce the frequency and severity of your headaches.
If your spine or jaw is not in proper alignment, spinal nerves may trigger migraines. Hormonal changes, including menstruation, can be a culprit. You may also be more prone to migraines from your genetic makeup.
What is the chiropractic treatment for headaches?
In today’s society, many people reach for a pill to reduce headache symptoms. Pills mask the underlying reason why you’re getting headaches, and they have dangerous side effects; if you take them over long periods of time, they can cause kidney and liver damage.
Dr. Striano uses chiropractic techniques to solve your migraines. He performs adjustments that correct spinal misalignment. Many of your symptoms of migraines and other headaches disappear when your neck and spine are properly aligned. Research supports the use of spinal manipulation as an effective treatment option for many types of headaches.
How can I prevent headaches?
A good strategy for headache prevention is to analyze what brings one on. Keep a record that tracks each headache. Write down what you were doing before you got the headache, as well as what you had to eat and drink for 24 hours before your symptoms occurred. You’ll start to see headache triggers. Here are tips to help you keep migraines under control instead of having the headaches control your life:
- Food choices:
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, nitrates, and monosodium glutamate (MSG) as much as possible.
- Don’t skip meals. Take along nutritious snacks if you’re going to be gone all day.
- Obesity is a trigger, so make a commitment to a healthy weight.
- Stress reduction. Explore meditation, deep breathing, and support groups.
- Chiropractic treatment. Studies show that chiropractic treatment may prevent migraines.
- Exercise helps manage anxiety and stress. Try to get in a daily walk. Working with a trainer can get the endorphins going.
- Medication overuse. Some migraine drugs cause headaches if overused.
Call or book an appointment online today with Hudson Rivertowns Chiropractic for drug-free treatment of your headaches.